FOI request for CRNBC

Taranpreet Kaur Doad
12162 95 avenue
Surrey B.C. V3V 1N6
taranpreetdoad@gmail.com

January 29,2018

Jessica Abells
Freedom Of Information Coordinator
College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia
2855 Arbutus Street,
Vancouver, BC V6J 3Y8

Dear Ms. Abells,
  In Accordance to the Freedom of Information act and protection of privacy act, I request that you kindly provide me with:

  • A copy of all the investigations from January 1, 2012 completed/ closed in which registrants were accused of a misconduct and/or were caught stealing and using narcotics and what was the results of the accusations. How were they caught, and why did they steal narcotics and why did they go against the  . 
If a problem arises in releasing some parts of the documents, please release the information that you can.
In order to avoid photocopying fees, please provide me with electronic copies by mailing it to my address on a CD or email me on the email mentioned above in PDF or Word format.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me at (604) 388-0251.
Please advise me when the material is ready for release. Thank You for your time.


Sincerely,


Taranpreet Kaur Doad




Explanation for Request: Nurses throughout BC are often found guilty of professional misconduct and/or stealing and using narcotics over the past few years. It may sound as a minor problem but it is a serious issue that needs some serious action. Nurses have most important rule "Do no harm to the patient" which most of the nurses follow, but some of them are very greedy of money that they exploit their patients. Not all are greedy of money but still have been found guilty of professional misconduct. Where misconduct behaviour is an issue there is another issue of nurses stealing and abusing narcotics. Hearing news like this makes me wonder how the staff that works in the same department not notice that there are drugs missing; Therefore through this FOI request I hope to figure out the reason behind why some nurses steal and abuse narcotics, and why some nurses go against their rules and regulations.

The name of the FOI coordinator was not available on the CRNBC website, therefore I personally emailed them, and there response was "You can write in to us regarding your request via this email and we will respond to you accordingly. Elaine Got (records Manager and Privacy Officer) will handle general FOI requests while Jessica Abells (Legal Counsel) will handle FOI requests relating to registrant case files". Therefore, I wrote to Jessica Abells because most of the FOI requests ask for the information relating to the registrant's case files.

Relevant news articles:
http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/b-c-seniors-advocate-nurses-college-warn-of-ethics-breaks-after-precedent-setting-fine-in-case-of-financial-exploitation-of-elderly-couple
http://vancouversun.com/news/staff-blogs/cloak-of-secrecy-around-hospital-drug-diversions-vancouver-hospital-vows-crack-down-on-drug-access-by-health-professionals


Comments

  1. I think the letter should be more spaced out and the part where you ask what you want to be provided with. should have more bullet points and broken down into sentences. As well as, the letter to the lady was a bit not clear to whom the registrants are and till what day you want them to give you the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your choice of FOI request, especially with the relevance that you explained in your final paragraph. However, I did notice some issues with the wording of the request itself.The "and/or" choice makes the request too broad (I know, I did it in mine as well), and I also found the last sentence unnecessary, as well as it ending rather abruptly. Other than those I thought you did a really good job with research and justification for your request.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea you have behind the FOI, its definitely important to raise awareness on the topic. However I feel like your FOI is a little unclear. Its says from January 2012 but doesn't have an end date. If you needed it until the most recent ones I feel like it would definitely be pricey to get. Maybe narrowing down the dates to a year or 2 would be more cost efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this idea for an FOI request. This happens too often surprisingly and needs to be addressed. If you send this off I would be curious to know the information you get!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment